Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Writers on Writer's Block

"Writing comes more easily if you have something to say" ~Sholem Asch
"The only cure for writer's block is insomnia." ~Merit Antares
"Writing is a struggle against silence." Carlos Fuentes
"All my best thoughts were stolen by the ancients." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
"If I'm trying to sleep, the ideas won't stop. If I'm trying to write, there appears a barren nothingness." ~Carrie Latet
"What things there are to write, if one could only write them! My mind is full of gleaming thought; gay moods and mysterious, moth-like meditations hover in my imagination, fanning their painted wings.  But always the rarest, those streaked with azure and the deepest crimson, flutter away beyond my reach." ~Logan Pearsall Smith
That last one is my favorite, but I don't think Logan Pearsall Smith really had writer's block--do you?  So, what do you do to get past writer's block?

2 comments:

  1. IMO, writing is a disciplined project. The discipline is forcing yourself to get into the habit of writing, on a regular basis. When you do get used to it, and your stop procrastinating, you will write, often inspired.
    Everyone has something to say. That is why writing is the sport of intellectuals and zealots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the Emerson quote! I plan on using that excuse in the future.

    ReplyDelete